RULES, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING RULES!
October 3rd, I
addressed the Navigation District over its handling of the Application for a
Place on the Ballot deadline by Tommy Moore and Keith Barrett. My presentation covered nearly 2 pages. At 3 minutes, Chairman Dieckow told me time
was up and held up his phone as evidence of having timed me. I was nowhere near finished and told him
so. He said I had used my 3 minutes and
told me to wrap it up quickly. A few
seconds later, he cut me off again.
Since the meat of my presentation concerned Tommy who was absent, I
chose a break point and sat down. I
would take it back up at the meeting on the 17th.
A few days after that meeting, I
acquired the Navigation District’s RULES OF PROCEDURE, CONDUCT AND
DECORUM. Article IV, Public
Participation in Meetings, Section 2 reads: Each member of the public who
appears before the Commission shall be limited to five (5) minutes to make his
or her remarks. When called upon
yesterday by Dieckow, I asked for a point of order and handed him the Rules,
pointing out that I should have 5 minutes and not 3. He looked up at me and said “you have 3
minutes”. I objected and said I would
stop speaking when I was finished. I
started my presentation and within seconds, Tommy was talking to Malcomb loud
enough for me to hear. Frustrated, I
asked Tommy to shut up. I admit it was
not my best choice of words and I think I reacted exactly as he wanted me to.
This is just another case of the
District ignoring the rules. They ignore
Texas Open Meeting’s Act rules, Robert’s Rule of Order, Public Information Act
Rules, Election Deadline rules and in this case their own rules. I noted many rules violations in previous
Posts. And now for another.
A friend of mine, Sterling Frank
signed up to speak in the October 3rd meeting also. Sterling questioned the absence of financial
data: Balance Sheet, Income Statement and comparison of Actuals to Budget. Dieckow told him they cover those items in
the 2nd meeting of each month.
Sterling attended the meeting yesterday as well and when the Agenda
items Accounts Payable and Treasurer’s reports were covered, Sterling spoke
up. He asked about balance sheet, income
statement, and budget related reports that Dieckow said at the prior meeting
would be reviewed. This meeting Dieckow
told him he could sign up to receive them by email and told him to stop by the
office and provide his email address.
Tommy echoed, “we’ll sure get them to you.” Why weren’t they reviewed at this meeting as Malcomb promised? Sterling went to the office
and was met by Keith Barrett. Keith told
him the office was just too short staffed to do the reports on this short of
notice. Any off the shelf office
accounting software can produce this set of reports with a single keystroke. So, what’s the rest of the story?
I researched Minutes recorded on
their website until they stopped recording them in May of 2021. There was nothing recorded showing they
reviewed any financials or budget matters monthly. There are only 2 possible conclusions to be
drawn. Either they do not review
financials or budgets at all in the course of a year or they do so in Closed
Session. The sections of the Texas Open
Meetings Act they utilize to justify closed meetings do not cover discussions
of financial matters. Those are clearly
open meeting issues for the public to see.
But then again as they have shown, they can’t be bothered by rules. And Transparency is not a part of their
vocabulary.
Comments
Post a Comment